Summer High School Internships
in Information Technology (IT)
Applications for the summer of 2015 will open in February 2015!
The University of Nebraska at Omaha's College of Information Science and Technology's Summer High School Internship Program in Information Technology (IT) is designed to offer innovative and hands-on research and development experiences to qualified high school students. IS&T's research areas and labs participating in the program include robotics, bioinformatics, software engineering, information assurance, public health informatics, database-driven web development, IT innovation, open community participation research lab, music informatics, iOS/Droid app development, gaming lab, and others.
Students will learn the fun and excitement of scientific research and development activities as well as explore potential careers in IT related disciplines. Students will have the opportunity to learn new concepts, tools and skills, and work alongside professors, graduate students, and undergraduate students solving specific research and development problems.
June 1 - July 24, 2015 (8 weeks)
Number of Internships and Stipend:
5-10 high school interns will be hired and paid a stipend of $1,200 for the 8 weeks internship.
20 hours/week on-site (schedule can be arranged)
Who is Eligible?
High school students interested in math, science, performing arts and/or computer science from participating school districts are eligible to apply. Eligible students must meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 16 years of age at the beginning of the school year
- Have completed and attained at least a "B" in Algebra I, Computer Science, and/or Biology
- Obtain parental/guardian consent for participation
- Have an weighted GPA of 3.25 or higher (3.00 unweighted GPA or higher) OR be ranked in the top 20% of their class
- Be able to provide their own reliable transportation to UNO each morning
How do I apply?
Students must apply by the deadline. Completed applications must contain all of the following components:
- An application form
- A short essay describing the reasons for pursuing the IT Internship Program (250 words)
- Copy of unofficial school transcript
- Campus interview (only selected students will be called for an interview) - Optional
Accepted students will receive additional materials which must be completed and signed by the designated due date in order to participate.